May 1, 2008

The American definition of "free"

Free has it's own definition here.

I'm at Safeways. 90 minutes parking for free, says the window. But when I return to the parking, I pay 25$. Damn. So I contact customer services. "You're right" she says. And contacts the parking guy. "You're wrong" he says. There's a flat fee for event days. Of 25$. Even when you shop at Safeways. When I ask him how I could have known that, he tells me I can call the office. On Mondays. Between 9 and 5. To complain. And to redeem my free parking ticket.
He's just the parking guy.

I book my flight at United Airlines. With a 200$ voucher. Making a reservation is easy. But not when you get something for free. There is no on-line possibility to process this voucher, my computer tells me. So, I call. And after a long process trying to spell my foreign name to a computer, I can finally redeem my voucher. I think. "I am so sorry.", says the friendly lady. "But you can only post that voucher. And then you call me in 14 days to see if I have received it. And if this voucher is allowed for your ticket."

Free has it's own definition in this country. It's not in the dictionary. And definitely not in your pocket. It's just another slogan.


No comments: