August 21, 2008

Californian babes

When moving to California I was sure about one thing. I would become a real sun-tanned Californian surf babe. Just by having breakfast on a terrace. Or by reading in the park.

What did I know about the world famous San Francisco fog? About the cold wind freezing my fingers and ears? About big sweaters in August?

Fortunately, we learned from the first half year in San Francisco. I don't like sharks. The water was too cold. And San Francisco is cold. I would never be a Californian surf babe. Unless...

We would move away from the city for a while.

So, here we are. Having breakfast on a terrace of a tree house in Larkspur. Hummingbirds snoring around my head like heavy flies. Absolute silence except for the twittering of thousands of birds around us. With the stars in the evening as our only company.

How can you be so close to one of the most vibrant cities in the world and hear absolutely nothing?

We're smiling when we drive into "our" city. A heavy fog is hanging over the Golden Gate Bridge. A cold wind hangs in the streets. And we have a walk. Sun-tanned. Like a real Californian babe.

No comments: